As we start to age, many of our physical and mental functions are impacted on a cellular basis. This is why so many of us experience a reduction in energy, slow metabolism, signs of aging, and other related symptoms.
Luckily, with the use of certain supplements, consumers may experience a reduction in these unwanted symptoms, which may ultimately improve their health and lifestyle. Today we will be reviewing one of the more controversial products on the market today called Niagen, which may very be the solution you’re looking for.
What is Niagen?
Niagen is supposedly a revolutionary supplement that is known as the “fountain of youth”. The manufacturers promise that Niagen activates NAD+ within our body, which is an anti-aging molecule tightly linked to increased physical and mental capabilities, faster metabolism, and other benefits.
The producers of Niagen state that daily supplementing with Niagen can boost physical and mental health, raise cognition function, spike metabolism, and slow down aging. And all of these effects are supposedly achieved with no negative implications.
As mentioned above, this supplement contains NAD+, or nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, a form of vitamin B3 which has a myriad of benefits.
Some of the potential Niagen benefits include:
1. Diabetes Prevention
Recent research concluded that Niagen supplementation can, in fact, resolve insulin problems in certain participants. Niagen supplemented individuals also experienced lower cholesterol levels, less fat accumulation, and more energy (1).
2. Weight Loss
As mentioned before, Niagen will boost the resting metabolic rate which means that more calories will be burned at all times. A fast metabolism is a crucial factor for weight loss since it greatly impacts overall calorie expenditure during the day.
3. Better Hearing
Studies also show that Niagen may, in fact, prevent deafness and even improve existing hearing. Tests done on animals have a high success rate regarding this topic and human studies will soon come in to play to prove this claim completely (2).
4. Better Cognition
Niagen supplementation is stated to significantly impact human cognition. Tests show that Niagen can enhance memory, focus, and alertness to some degree.
5. Better Immune Function
Niagen protects the body’s cells against free radical damage that can be caused by heightened mitochondrial activity.
How Does Niagen Work?
This health supplement works by increasing the levels of key chemical in our cells called NAD+. Raising the levels of this chemical in our cells actually reduces aging within the cell, providing better energy levels and mood. With the increase in NAD+, your resting metabolic rate will spike, mental clarity will be enhanced, and a reduction in the risk of heart diseases, cancer, and Alzheimer’s is possible.
Fortunately, the manufacturers of Niagen provided a proper product label with precise dosing information. With a nicely designed ingredients label, this formula minimizes the chance of underdosing and inefficiency.
Here are the ingredients found in Niagen:
- Niagen (Nicotinamide Riboside) (250mg) – Is a high-quality form of Niagen that doesn’t contain any synthetic additives. Nicotinamide Riboside is actually a precursor of NAD+ and it is broken down by various chemicals in our body in order to be transformed into NAD+ (3). As we already mentioned, NAD+ is a crucial chemical in the maintenance of cell health. Our cell mitochondria are the main source of energy for our cells. A damaged or depleted mitochondria may lead to a drop in cell function, which can result in multiple disorders. NAD+ ensures that the cell mitochondria remain healthy and functioning, assuring that the whole body works properly (4) (5). Besides this, Niagen prevents fatigue, depression, wrinkled skin, muscle and strength loss, and cognition problems. Our natural NAD+ levels get depleted over time and replenishing these levels with proper supplementation can lead to noticeable results in physical and mental capabilities (6) (7).
The Science Behind Niagen
According to the manufactures, nicotinamide riboside was only discovered recently to have anti-aging, metabolism boosting, and weight loss benefits.
The study that made everything interesting was conducted in 2013 by Harvard Medical School’s Dr. David Sinclair. You may have heard of Dr. Sinclair since he was recently named one of TIME’s 100 Most Influential People of 2014 due to his work on age reversal (8).
Dr. Sinclair’s study was an animal study on mice. After the research was completed, the experts examined the muscle from two-year-old mice that had been supplement with a NAD compound for just one week. Comparing the insulin resistance indicators, inflammation, and muscle loss. The results were astonishing, as the tissue from the mice resembled that of six-month-old mice. If this study was conducted on humans this would be equal to a drop from 60 to 20 years.
However, keep in mind that this is still only one animal study that has shown positive benefits on a cellular level. This doesn’t really mean that humans will receive the same outcomes. On top of this, the 2013 Harvard study did inject the mice with 400mg of nicotinamide riboside, versus the 250mg found in the Niagen supplement. Or in other words, the mice have received almost a double dose compared to the one we receive from Niagen.
Niagen Side Effects
Before we discuss the potential side effects of Niagen, we need to cover some safety warnings.
This supplement should not be taken by pregnant or breastfeeding women. Individuals who are under the legal age of 18 should not take Niagen. It is also highly advisable to consult with a doctor before using this supplement.
Now, since this product only has one ingredient, it is relatively safe and should not induce any major side effects. However, everyone is different and will react differently to Niagen’s effects.
You can purchase Niagen from the official Live Cell Research website or through most online retailers such as Amazon and eBay. As far as pricing goes, it will greatly depend on the quantity you buy.
- 1-Month Supply: $46.99, plus $3.95 (Shipping and Handling)
- 2-Month Supply: $83.64 (Free Shipping and Handling)
- 3-Month Supply: $117.00 (Free Shipping and Handling)
All customers also receive a 90-day money back guarantee.
Overall, Niagen has a lot of positive things going for it. Studies done on animals found some extraordinary results, however, this doesn’t mean that we will experience the same benefits. There is also the fact that many customers did not receive the results that Niagen promised, but again, this may vary from person to person.
Still, with some scientific proof of effectiveness, a low risk of side effects, and a 90-day money back guarantee, you could give Niagen a try. There is a good chance of results and if not, there are other anti-aging products on the market that you can purchase.
- Samuel A.J. Trammell, Benjamin J. Weidemann, Ankita Chadda, Matthew S. Yorek, Amey Holmes, Lawrence J. Coppey, Alexander Obrosov, Randy H. Kardon, Mark A. Yorek, and Charles Brennera. “Nicotinamide Riboside Opposes Type 2 Diabetes and Neuropathy in Mice.” Sci Rep. (2016 May 27). Viewed at:
- Samuel A. J. Trammell, Mark S. Schmidt, Benjamin J. Weidemann, Philip Redpath, Frank Jaksch, Ryan W. Dellinger, Zhonggang Li, E. Dale Abel, Marie E. Migaud, and Charles Brenner. “Nicotinamide riboside is uniquely and orally bioavailable in mice and humans.” Nat Commun. (2016 Oct 10). Viewed at:
- Conze DB, Crespo-Barreto J1, Kruger CL. “Safety assessment of nicotinamide riboside, a form of vitamin B3.” Hum Exp Toxicol. (2016 Jan 20). Viewed at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26791540
- Carles Cantó,Riekelt H. Houtkooper, Eija Pirinen, Dou Y. Youn, Maaike H. Oosterveer, Yana Cen, Pablo J. Fernandez-Marcos, Hiroyasu Yamamoto, Pénélope A. Andreux, Philippe Cettour-Rose, Karl Gademann, Chris Rinsch, Kristina Schoonjans, Anthony A. Sauve, and Johan Auwerx. “The NAD+ precursor nicotinamide riboside enhances oxidative metabolism and protects against high-fat diet induced obesity.” Cell Metab. (2012 Jun 6). Viewed at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3616313/
- Zhang H, Ryu D, Wu Y, Gariani K, Wang X, Luan P, D’Amico D, Ropelle ER, Lutolf MP, Aebersold R, Schoonjans K, Menzies KJ, Auwerx J. “NAD⁺ repletion improves mitochondrial and stem cell function and enhances life span in mice.” Science. (2016 Jun 17). Viewed at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27127236
- Leonie K. Heilbronn, Editor, Clinical Trials Corner. “Clinical Trials Corner.” Nutr Healthy Aging. (2017 May 30). Viewed at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5389020/
- Christopher R. Martens, Blair A. Denman, Melissa R. Mazzo, Michael L. Armstrong, Nichole Reisdorph, Matthew B. McQueen, Michel Chonchol & Douglas R. Seals. “Chronic nicotinamide riboside supplementation is well-tolerated and elevates NAD+ in healthy middle-aged and older adults.” Nature Communications volume Article number: 1286 (2018). Viewed at: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03421-7
- Marina N. Bolotnikova. “Anti-Aging Approaches.” Viewed at: https://harvardmagazine.com/2017/09/anti-aging-breakthrough
Amanda is a gym instructor and a diet and nutrition fanatic that has reviewed 100s of supplements for the benefit of consumers. She struggled with obesity 7 years ago and after losing more than 30lbs, dedicates most of her time in helping others achieve similar results and transform their lives.